Sunday, September 20, 2009

New art, and a message in the woods

I am reading the ghost stories of AC Benson and RH Benson right now. I'm more of a fan of EF Benson but it's nice to be able to sit down and read them all in depth and get a better idea of the style of each. My favorites by AC Benson turn out to be the ones that were not originally even published, like "Basil Netherby" and "The Uttermost Farthing," which I'm reading right now. How amazing that three brothers should all become ghost story writers. At any rate, I dashed off a couple of almost-abstract, simple ghost paintings as a result and here is the first. The other needs a little more work as it is actually too dark...it's nice when I'm looking at it under a lamp but it needs some more highlights, before I scan and post it. This one is for sale on Etsy now, and I also listed another new painting. I'll write about that separately in the upcoming days.


When I'm walking through the woods I like to leave messages sometimes by arranging pinecones or leaves. I took this picture with my phone today after I was sitting under a tree reading my ghost stories. It's been a rough year but I am trying to stay optimistic. Hopefully someone will come across this message in the woods and be pleasantly surprised. If not, well, it did make me feel better to write it.

3 comments:

  1. I love the sense of movement in your painting. I actually exclaimed out loud "oh!" when I saw it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I had an image in my mind for that one and just kept swirling the paint around until it looked right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a haunting, beautiful painting! I love your message of hope, too. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete