Saturday, November 7, 2009

Repainting the past


This is a tree that I like to read under. I remember reading Dune....many books of ghost stories...Unfortunately I missed the chance to read under autumn foliage in this particular park this year because it was just gone in an instant -- one day it was all green, then there was a cold weekend and then everything blew off the trees. Alas! But I have a vague memory of what fall is supposed to look like. I did this little painting in an evening recently and somehow resisted the temptation to put any creatures or characters in it.


This is one of the things I found in my vaults recently that I made some prints from. They'll be up for sale in a few days...I remember it took days for me to figure out what the UFO should be beaming up and finally I realized -- duh, obviously, a unicorn! This is the kind of thing that I'm guessing sane people don't generally think about.

I'm knee deep in repainting a bunch of things that I originally did around 2000-2002. The limitations of technology (specifically, the kind that I was stuck with at the time) left me unable to get high quality scans or pictures of them before I sold them so I've never been able to do anything with them in terms of reproductions. So I'm repainting a bunch of them, with what I hope is possibly a little more detail than I originally painted them in, and getting nice crisp scans.



But before I get those together...I still have some recent stuff that I'm finishing up and uploading. Click to see the full painting this is from! There is a glass turtle off to the right hand side of the painting that I'm quite delighted with.

I'm a little preoccupied tonight in thinking about weird movies I'd like to see or find on dvd so my coherent post will have to come in a day or so! I'm going to go look through my old video tapes now for something weird and inspiring to watch!

3 comments:

  1. Did I ever show you this lamp?
    http://www.geekologie.com/2007/06/05/abduction-lamp.jpg

    Unfortunately, that was the concept photo, and I don't think the actual one turned out quite as nice. But they didn't take any photos with the light on, so who knows what it looks like.
    http://abductionlamp.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the tree and the colors!! very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pmthreads - oh my gosh, i don't know how i've ever lived without one of those lamps!! it's a shame if it didn't turn out like they planned!

    owlsomegifts, thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete