Friday, November 5, 2010

Autumn yarn cravings



Every year for the past couple of years around October the yarn starts to call me. After a month (October) in Texas, where the temperatures were usually around 90 and the leaves do not turn quite as noticeably, if at all -- I am in New Jersey in November and catching a glimpse of golden leaves here and there. And the cold temperatures mean...the yarn is coming back out.

I had not knit or crocheted since I was about 12, but two years ago I relearned the basics and made a 12-foot-long Dr. Who scarf (below). Since it's 12 feet long the only way I could photograph it was to drape it over my curtains.

Well that was knitting, but I am equally fond of crocheting -- in the past I made some little animals and things, amigurumi, but I don't seem to have the knack for it this year. I do appear to be able to make scarves with a double crochet all of a sudden though. I am not trying to post a how-to or anything, but I must say that the patterns that Lion Brand puts out with Vanna's Choice yarn, have the best instructions. I've never had a problem following them. Here's a photo from one of their $5 pattern books that caught my eye because I like the idea of sunny hues in the winter:

And here are my inexpert, unmanicured fingers attempts to do a double crochet for the first time. Since taking this picture this afternoon I'm all the way up to the dark, brick red yarn. This is a 2-day project if you have nothing better to do with your time!

I love this rainbow yarn though, I keep buying skeins of the larger one and forgetting what I've done with them, so I bought more today. I'm not sure what to do with it. The smaller piece, called Mardi Gras, makes me think "wrist warmers!" because those are easy and a nice way to display something colorful.



So....back to the hook!

No comments:

Post a Comment