Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mysterious blue creatures of the deep


Since I'm in denial about winter, rather than do some snow/winter art as I often do in November, I am doing some nature art with some frosty hues and blue tints! Here are a duo of jellyfish that i painted from photos that I took in the aquarium at the Houston Zoo. Taking pictures through glass with a non-professional camera of course is challenging at best but I think it worked out. This painting is now for sale on Etsy.

You can see the photos that I worked from below:




I usually don't work from photos, but just go straight to the imagination, even though I really enjoy having a reference photo...most of the things i want to paint don't exist in the real world so that's a bit challenging!

Lighting is (well, almost) everything when it comes to photography, isn't it, because I took some pictures with the "museum" setting of the rocks and crystals at the Houston Museum of Natural Science and even though I wasn't doing anything but pushing a button, some of the pictures turned out quite lovely. If this was in a catalog I'd want to buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment