Sunday, October 4, 2009

Featured artist: SingASongOfSixpence



As promised, here is the first in a series of features I'm doing on artists that I admire -- starting with some pen and ink/black & white art by artists I have found on Etsy.

SingASongOfSixpence.etsy.com has a beautiful selection of drawings and some paintings, with crisp, captivating surreal imagery.  She mixes fairy tales, mythology, and history with a sense for the subtle and silent, and I find her work enchanting.

Objects hover in mid-air or float into space, with snake women, sirens, balloons, and birds among the themes in the artist's personal mythology.  Here is what she says in her Etsy profile about her subject matter:

"Blackbirds, skeleton keys, buttons, and feathers...these are the things I like, and these are the things that weave their way into my art. There's something very old-fashioned about them, and I certainly love everything old-fashioned. Although I'm only 21, I've got an old soul. The aesthetics of the past inspire me...Ancient Roman, Medieval, Georgian, Victorian, and so on and so on. My work represents a harmonious marriage between art and history...my two great passions."

I heartily encourage everyone to keep an eye on this gifted artist and to enter her unique universe.  She is featured on several other places on the web included this gallery in Ottawa.

Although I've selected several black and white images to share here with her permission, her colour paintings are also magnificent, with bright, bold hues, like this spectrum of apples.

Or this painting titled Goblin Market.

Enjoy!  Another feature will be coming tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment