Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cold cold cold

It's been a month since I last updated, and I've spent most of the intervening time knitting and crocheting -- I will have new art projects soon as well but for some reason yarn is capturing my attention at the moment. I've amassed a large stash, made gifts for most people that I know, and now I'm starting on some self-centered projects since the holidays are in the past!

Due to the fact that there are only, what, 15 minutes of natural light per day in the winter, and it's too cold to go outside, I have not been taking pictures and therefore haven't wanted to clutter up the blog world with some bad quality, low light photos, but I can't stand it anymore, I have to share what I've been up to!

Knitting was my main interest for the past month, but this week it's all about crochet thanks to a book called Twinkie Chan's Crochet Goodies for Fashion Foodies. I saw this book in Barnes and Noble and thought "hm, that's cute!" and then went home...and was haunted by memories of the wonderful scarves all day until I couldn't stand it anymore and had to order it!! I also ordered the book Vampire Knits because I loved the groovy gothic look of the pieces in it.

After getting my books in the mail I immediately made a cupcake scarf, using Red Velvet cupcakes as my inspiration, and I am thinking about doing a cupcake hat in different colors. Well, not just thinking -- I already started it, and it's blue. :P And I made one segment each for a Pear Scarf and a Toast Scarf. I have to add the core and other details to the first pear, and I plan to do toast in varying shades of brown for variety.


While starting a pear for the Pear Scarf, I realized that I usually do my crochet in the front loop only. And, well, it does look significantly different when you go through both loops. Hmm. See, this is what happens when you do both loops (left) versus front loop only (right). Okay, so that means when I go back to finish my Afghan Blocks that I will have to keep doing it my old way (front loop) to make sure the size stays consistent. How is it that I never thought about this before?



Among the other things I've been working on are some of the projects from Knitty, via Ravelry. I made the Carnaby skirt, the Citron shawl and I'm working on a Lanesplitter skirt. I'll be posting pictures of all of these...and if anyone is on Ravelry reading this, friend me, I'm Sarada there!

No comments:

Post a Comment