Saturday, October 15, 2011

A few more ghosts...


I have been loading up on ghost/haunted house movies lately, as that has been my favorite motif at Halloween time for some years lately. Ever since I read "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson and the Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories, that has been chief among my obsessions.

I love walls with brocade wallpaper, candelabras, oval portraits, mysterious bookshelves and of course what lurks beyond locked doors and in basements. Normally this time of year I'd also be watching Dark Shadows so that will have to start up soon too.

A few movies that have been watched lately: The House on Haunted Hill, The Legend of Hell House, Thirteen Ghosts, to name a few. Another, Burnt Offerings, was made a little later and didn't quite hit the marks we were looking for, but it had some interesting atmosphere as well. "Thirteen Ghosts" particularly inspired me with an idea for something I plan to paint very soon...

Right now I am also offering up a repainted version of a ghost painting I did about 9 years ago, "Ghost Sisters of the Tower." I've done at least one other repaint of it since then but I wanted to make sure to have a nice fresh version of it that I can take scans from, and of course the painting itself is available -- I love my blue and purple ghost girls!

I'm taking a break from 19th century literature to read Salem's Lot by Stephen King as well, but my movie choices are likely to stay firmly rooted around the 60s/early 70s...which is about as modern as I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment