Thursday, May 21, 2015

Sci fi surrealism, rust monsters, and a few more unicorns.

Aside from working on a lot of oil paintings recently, and waiting for them to dry, I have a sort of unthemed mixed bag of things to share for the moment.


 Earlier this month I contributed a piece, "The Sea Corridor," for a greyscale art contest at Jerry's Artarama in Houston. I got a nice set of oil paints for my efforts, and the painting (18 x 24 inch on a gallery wrapped canvas) is taking up a big chunk of art closet real estate here now, in case anyone within driving distance of Houston is interested in making an offer on it. :) Blurry photo with glare courtesy of my perpetually poor lighting conditions and lack of a professional grade photo studio.


The "fish-owl" was inspired by a couple of lines in the book "Babylon" by Rene Crevel, and there are tiny little fishes budding off of the branches that were inspired by lines in "The Goose of Hermogenes" by Ithell Colquhoun, unless I'm getting my surrealist novels confused. I tried to put some of my favorite elements in this -- woods, corridors full of billowing curtains, gliding down a passageway like the famous scene in Jean Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast"...just some things that I like, blended into a sort of collage.

I also have prints available of a colorful, surrealist-inspired painting I did a few years ago and kept in my personal collection. This is a 5 x 7 print for sale but I can also make 8 x 10 (or 9 x 12, even) on request.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/232890223/colorful-surreal-psychedelic-5-x-7-art?ref=shop_home_active_11

"Beneath the Green Sky"

https://www.etsy.com/listing/232921560/fantasy-dungeon-art-8-x-10-photo-print?ref=shop_home_active_21

"The Lair of the Rust Monster"

On a completely different note, I'm slipping an 8 x 10 print of another of my "personal stash" paintings into the mix this week -- I love D&D module covers from the early 80s, which was my formative era. I liked the art more than anything else really, since I rarely got to play with other people. In fact, check back for a post about those soon. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/234191200/gothic-surreal-weird-horror-art-5-x-7?ref=shop_home_active_1

"The Shadow and the Candle"

Back to surrealism, this oil painting is also in my personal stash, just a stream-of-consciousness piece I did, of whatever came to mind at the moment that I wanted to see. Subconsciously inspired by my love of Leonora Carrington, in ways I can't quite put my finger on. I'm keeping the original of this, but 5 x 7 prints are available at the link above, and 8 x 10 can also be made on request.

Finally, I have prints up now of a couple of the unicorn paintings that I did last week.


https://www.etsy.com/listing/234149202/purple-unicorn-5-x-7-print-reproduction?ref=shop_home_active_3

"Beneath the Purple Unicorn Tree" 5 x 7 print

https://www.etsy.com/listing/234122317/purple-unicorn-pink-lava-lamp-groovy-5-x?ref=listing-shop-header-1

"Groovy Unicorn Room" 5 x 7 print

And soomehow when Easter rolled around I think I neglected to post this picture, that I did for the season. But really, aren't moonlit bunnies suitable year-round?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/225221971/gothic-purple-blue-moon-bunny-ghost?ref=shop_home_active_14

Thanks for looking, and I hope that my next update will be a little more focused, but really, what's so great about focus?

No comments:

Post a Comment